Friday, July 17, 2009

The Young Gimp and the Sea

Lures: $210
Bait: $7
Being 20 k. off the African coast: Priceless

Some men lovingly carress and polish their automobiles. Bushman does the same to bait fish and plastic squid with googly-eyes.

I am decidedly nervous when he heads off to sea with a handheld GPS, a single engine, and that diabolical Hemmingway crack to his grin. Not only is there no coast guard here (and if there were, they might not have gas, nor a boat for that matter), but I've actually gone out with him, so I know what I'm talking about. For our tenth anniversary, he painted "Happy Ten" on the port side and entreated me accompany him on a day of what was joy for him and a 5-hour ride o' terror, quite frankly, for me. Skipping at breakneck speed like a well-thrown stone across roiling swells, we went 22 k out to sea, and it was out there that we found ourselves in the midst of a pod of enormous whales, which Bushman of course decided to chase (having consumed not only his but my share of the celebratory champagne). Perhaps I need not say more, but if my point needs any buttressing, check out this youtube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=92anYJeftXA .


This is all beside the point, because Bushman LOVES going out to sea, and it is one of his few refuges in this constant-people place (especially now that he's on crutches and can't run away as quickly as before). Above he's preparing his bait for sailfishing; the next picture (taken by Escotty) is self-explanitory; the third is of his sunset return, greeted on the beach by his beloved boys and his daughters. It's a great feeling having him home safely and knowing he's satisfiedly spent from a day at sea.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I just noticed you have a commnet box! yippee! Love your blog- and see you soon.