We all learn to have them here--precious foods ferreted away in the backs of closets, wee gustatory delights that remind us of home. One of the most irksome sounds here occurs in the middle of the night: it's the scrabbling of rodent nails and crinkling of a wrapper in the darkness of my closet. My eyes pop open and I'm immediately filled with trembling wrath--do I tear open the mosquito net and fight for my stash of Oreos, or do I resign myself to the fact that he'll be back anyway and that throwing away one gnawed-on cookie isn't that big of a deal?
Last night Touti and Escotty shared one of their stashes with us--the makings for sushi! Who'd have guessed that we'd be munching on honest-to-goodness pink pickled ginger, wasabi, and nori wraps? As we've often noted here, it's all about your connections.
Last night Touti and Escotty shared one of their stashes with us--the makings for sushi! Who'd have guessed that we'd be munching on honest-to-goodness pink pickled ginger, wasabi, and nori wraps? As we've often noted here, it's all about your connections.

No comments:
Post a Comment